Monday, September 12, 2005

Nothing, he believes

Journalist Ted Gup offers his version of NPR's "This is I Believe" that sounds so nice and senstive and intellectual until the last two paragraphs, when you realize his answer to NPR's question is, "nothing."

Which raises the question of, "Why are we listening to him?"
But in time, I came to accept, even embrace, what I called "my confusion," and to recognize it as a friend and ally, no apologies needed. I preferred to listen rather than to speak; to inquire, not crusade. As a noncombatant, I was welcomed at the tables of even bitterly divided foes. I came to recognize that I had my own compass and my own convictions and if, at times, they took me in circles, at least they expanded outward. I had no wish for converts -- where would I lead them?

An editor and mentor at the Post once told me I was "Wobbly." I asked who else was in that category and drew comfort from its quirky ranks. They were good people all -- open-minded, inquisitive, and yes, confused. We shared a common creed. Our articles of faith all ended with a question mark. I wouldn't want a whole newsroom, hospital, platoon or -- God forbid -- a nation of us. But in periods of crisis, when passions are high and certainty runs rabid, it's good to have a few of us on hand. In such times, I believe it falls to us Wobblies to try and hold the shrinking common ground.

3 Comments:

Blogger WTW said...

yuck to the wobblies

12:01 AM  
Blogger Joseph Smith, jr. said...

Interesting blog. Enjoyed reading it.

Sincerely,

Joseph Smith Jr.
Mormon family tree
http://www.whatismormonism.com

6:06 AM  
Blogger IamMBB said...

I think you miss his point which is that it's ok to see both sides of an argument: "I always seemed to stand in the no-man's land between opposing arguments, yearning to be won over by one side or the other, but finding instead degrees of merit in both."
-- Ted Gup

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home