Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Mass. Governor Opposes Abortion

Mitt Romney, Massachussetts governor, gave a great interview to Hugh Hewitt. Read the whole thing here.

But here is one of the most interesting parts about abortion. Romney is speaking, and then Hewitt asks a question, and then Romney responds.
I fundamentally believe that Roe V. Wade has some serious errors, and the application of Roe V. Wade to every state is one of them. I would rather see each state be able to make its own decision on abortion laws, and under that kind of a scenario, if a state were overwhelmingly pro-choice, it could remain so. If a state were overwhelmingly pro-life, it could remain so. And we allow the people and democracy to work the way the nation's founders had intended.



HH: So, you would oppose a Constitutional amendment, one size fits all, banning abortion in the United States?

MR: Well, America's not there yet. I would hope that at some point, America would recognize that over a million abortions a year is just not right. And at the heart and the minds of the people of American would come to agree on a national consensus that abortion should not exist in our land. But we're not there yet. And I've read the president's comments on the same point, and he feels the same way. That's just not where we are as a nation. Instead, where we are is at a point where each state should be able to make its own decision, and allow those states that are strongly pro-life to make laws that fulfill the will of their own citizens.

Also, Romney said that for the last two years, he has watched an "activist court" in Massachussets, which is obviously a reference to, among other things, that court's decisions in favor of gay marriage.
But I am pro-life. I have made that quite clear today. Usually, I have not used that term. I've just said look. I don't favor abortion. But I wanted to make it clear that over the past two and a half years serving as governor, I've watched an activist court. I've also had the experience of seeing what happens with embryo farming, and embryo cloning being considered. And I just recognized that we have to be very clear in standing up for the importance of the sanctity of life.

Romney is apparently considering a run for the White House in 08. It is leaders like him who give people the courage to stand up for what they know is right.

2 Comments:

Blogger stan said...

I guess I just loved his response that America should realize that "over a million abortions a year is just not right." You don't hear that very often, if ever.

7:34 AM  
Blogger WTW said...

well, you know, Hillary's pro-life too..

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home