Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Colson Nails It

Chuck Colson wrote a critique of the religious left in February, and specifically mentioned Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourner Ministries. Wallis responded in an open letter, and in early March, Colson wrote an open letter back.

I will post the links to the letters below, but I wanted to point out something Colson wrote near the end of his response to Wallis. In it, Colson sums up why our political, social and cultural discourse has become so unproductive and, unfortunately, dangerous.
I think the blue/red division in America is a tragedy. Because we have lost an overarching sense of truth and moral authority in culture, the curse of post-modernism, we have no basis for judging the common good. Therefore our debates deteriorate. Instead of being able to argue great issues, we huddle with our ideological kinsmen in our own little battle camps. Ideology has replaced revealed truth as the way we decide issues in American life.

That is exactly right. Ideology has replaced revealed truth as the way we decide issues in American life.

I would add that I think television has contributed a great deal to a decline in the general intelligence of our populace, especially when it comes to reflective and thoughtful intelligence, by creating an entertainment culture. Neil Postman explained this in one of the most necessary books written in the last 50 years, "Amusing Ourselves to Death."

But Colson goes on with the solution.
I refuse to fall into this trap. Ideology is the enemy of the Gospel and the enemy of historic conservatism which is governed by revealed truth in nature, beauty, the law inscribed on our hearts, and of course supremely in biblical revelation. I think the right and the left today, Democrats and Republicans, are largely fighting over ideological issues. From my perspective, when they do this it’s a plague on both houses. My view of life is shaped by a biblical worldview and one that has been informed by conservative tradition. What that means to me is a respect for order out of which freedom flows, a healthy respect for the wisdom of the past, and religious convictions.

I prefer not to take part in ideological combat. I have always counseled Christians not to embrace one partisan agenda over another, but rather go where the Bible leads. If we both do that, we’ll in due course end up in the same place.

I love how Colson ends his letter. "I do respect and appreciate you Jim," he says.

To read Colson's commentary that started it all, click here.
To read Wallis' response, click here.
To read Colson's response to Wallis, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home